Dr. Scott D. Swain
Dr. Scott D. Swain is a professor of marketing and Powers Distinguished Fellow at Clemson University. Prior to joining Clemson, he served on the faculties of Boston University and Northeastern University and as a visiting professor of marketing at Dartmouth College’s Tuck School of Business.
His research focuses on consumer behavior, brand strategy, survey methodology, and choice modeling. His work appears in top-tier journals, including the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Retailing, and Decision Support Systems.
Professor Swain has served as an expert witness in many cases involving marketing and consumer behavior issues and has experience testifying in federal court and related regulatory venues (including the NAD and the FDA). His experience includes, but is not limited to, matters involving likelihood of confusion, genericness, secondary meaning, claim substantiation, deceptive advertising, materiality, and market valuation.
He holds a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from Clemson University, a Bachelor of Science in physics from Francis Marion College, and an MBA in finance and PhD in marketing from the University of South Carolina. Prior to entering consulting and academia, Professor Swain served as an officer in the United States Navy (submarines).
- Visiting Professor of Marketing, Tuck School of Business, 2022-present
- Powers Distinguished Fellow, Clemson University, 2021-present
- Professor of Marketing, Clemson University, 2021-present
- Visiting Associate Professor of Marketing, Tuck School of Business, 2021
- Associate Professor, Wilbur O. and Ann Powers College of Business, Clemson University, 2013-21
- Assistant Professor, D’Amore-McKim School of Business, Northeastern University, 2009-2013
- Assistant Professor, Questrom School of Business, Boston University, 2002-08
- Nuclear Submarine Officer, United States Navy
- Manager, Downwind Trading Company, Inc., Myrtle Beach, SC
- Ocean Lifeguard, City of Myrtle Beach, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Ph.D. in Marketing, University of South Carolina, 2002.
- Master of Business Administration in Finance, University of South Carolina, 1996.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Clemson University, 1991.
- Bachelor of Science in Physics, Francis Marion University, 1991.